Monday, August 23, 2010

"The Shumway Sequence"

Brothers and Sisters,

     I did not have the opportunity to pass out to all the members of the Branch, the list of ideals that our inspired of the Lord, Stake Presidency, has frequently visited with us all about. With help from Brother Mortensen (Our High Council Rep), I put together what I have dubbed "The Shumway Sequence".
     I know this paper, was inspired of the Lord, and I can assure you that I was directed of the Spirit to make this paper. If any of us, are to hope to fully catch "The Vision Of The Vine" (As has been confirmed to our Stake Presidency, Branch Presidency, and Quorum Presidents) we need to practice and be familiar with this "Shumway Sequence".

     Below you will find "The Shumway Sequence" :


The Shumway Sequence

1.       ALWAYS STRIVING TO INCREASE TIME SPENT AROUND THE SPIRIT
“…Humble yourselves before the Lord…call upon His holy name…watch and pray continually… and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all longsuffering.” (Alma 13:28)


2.       ALL THINGS ACCOMPLISHED ACCORDING TO THE LORD’S TIMING
“Let not your minds turn back; and when ye are worthy, in mine own due time, ye shall see and know that which was conferred upon you.” (Doctrine & Covenants Section 67:14)


3.       THERE IS SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE IN THE SERVICE YOU ARE GIVING
“And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17)


4.      INCREASE OUR DESIRE TO HAVE A DEEPER LEVEL OF TRUST AND FAITH
“…exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.” (Alma 32:27 –Faith)
“I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good- yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously ; and this is my Spirit.”
(Doctrine & Covenants Section 11:12 – Trust)


5.       IF YOU ARE HERE NOW, YOU ARE FOREORDAINED TO BE HERE.
“And this is the manner after which [we] were ordained – being called and prepared from the foundation of the world according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works; …therefore they having chosen good, and exercising exceedingly great faith, are called with a holy calling…which was prepared with, and according to, a preparatory redemption for such.” (Alma 13:3)

      Allow me to take this chance to confirm unto you something of certain significance, that I have come to know for myself... fully independent of any other influence in the world today.
      I know that the Lord loves us all very much, and I feel his love as I have been given the chance to serve in all the callings I have had in the Plainview Branch.
      The Lord does not simply work to improve any one person, on just one front; Rather he works to build the Saints up, and to shape them to be his Christian Soldiers. I frequently revisit in my mind, something that Sister Roberts (Wife of our Branch President) said the day President Roberts was was called to be our Branch President. Said Sister Roberts, "I know the Lord qualifies whom he calls..." and I can affirm to you that such is the case.
      The Lord has been instrumental in changing this particular sinner....myself. I was blessed at first, to be called as Second Counselor to the Elders Quorum President, whom we just recently released. President Martinez was instrumental in blessing me to teach the Elders Quorum during that time, and because of that wisdom of his, I got to immerse myself more fully to the Gospel, and to make it a force to help secure my conversion. On January 10th, 2010 I was released from this calling, and was called and set apart as the Branch Mission Leader...which calling lasted until July 25th, 2010... and that brings me to the "Now" section of this epilogue.
      There are wonderful brethren in our Branch that all have been a great comfort to me. President Porter, President Williams, President Calderon, President Roberts, President Martinez, Brother Olmsted and more. You all have been great and loving to my family.
      God bless you all brethren. Let us keep "The Shumway Sequence" close to our hearts, for as President Shumway has decreed all these things to us, a literal application of his teachings will do nothing short of enriching our Spirits.

********************* Lubbock Texas Stake Announcements:

Thursday, August 26th 7:00p.m. Plainview Elders Edification

Thursday, August 26th 6:00p.m. Stake Pres. Interviews

Saturday, August 28th 10:00a.m. Primary Activity Day

Sunday, August 29th Combined Priesthood/Relief Society

Sunday, August 29th 1:15p.m. BYC

******************* Plainview Branch Elders & High Priest Lessons By Date:

8-29-10 Joint Meeting (5th Sunday Agenda)

9-5-10 September First Presidency Meeting (Ensign)

9-12-10 "The Church of Jesus Christ Today" (Gospel Principles, Chapter 17 - Page 95)

9-19-10 "Faith in Jesus Christ" (Gospel Principles, Chapter 18 - Page 101)

No comments: