The Holy Ghost
There is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. In this chapter we will learn what the gift of the Holy Ghost is and how we can receive this great gift from God.
The Gift of the Holy Ghost
- What is the difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost?
Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost
- What must we do to receive the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost?
To be worthy to have the help of the Holy Ghost, we must seek earnestly to obey the commandments of God. We must keep our thoughts and actions pure.
Recognizing the Influence of the Holy GhostThe Holy Ghost usually communicates with us quietly. His influence is often referred to as a “still small voice” (see 1 Kings 19:9–12; Helaman 5:30; D&C 85:6). President Boyd K. Packer explained: “The Holy Ghost speaks with a voice that you feel more than you hear. … While we speak of ‘listening’ to the whisperings of the Spirit, most often one describes a spiritual prompting by saying, ‘I had a feeling …’” He continued: “This voice of the Spirit speaks gently, prompting you what to do or what to say, or it may caution or warn you” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1994, 77; or Ensign, Nov. 1994, 60).
One of God’s Greatest Gifts
- What blessings can we receive through the gift of the Holy Ghost?
- Why is the gift of the Holy Ghost one of God’s greatest gifts to us?
- 1 Corinthians 3:16–17; D&C 130:22–23 (the Holy Ghost dwells with the faithful)
- Acts 19:1–7 (gift of the Holy Ghost bestowed anciently)
- Moroni 8:25–26 (how to receive the Holy Ghost)
- Moroni 10:5 (the Holy Ghost is a witness to truth)
- Mosiah 5:2 (the Holy Ghost changes hearts)
- Alma 5:54 (the Holy Ghost sanctifies)
Plainview Branch Elders & High Priest Lessons By Date:
11-14-10 : Chapter 21 Gospel Principles Manual "The Gift Of The Holy Ghost"
11-21-10 : Chapter 22 Gospel Principles Manual "The Gifts Of The Spirit"
11-28-10 : "That Our Children Might See The Face Of Our Savior" - By Cheryl C. Lant - April 2010
12-5-10 : "Only An Elder" - by Elder Bruce R. McConkie in 1974
12-12-10 : Chapter 23 Gospel Principles Manual "The Sacrament"
12-19-10 : Chapter 24 Gospel Principles Manual "The Sabbath Day"
12-26-10 : To Be Announced