Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lesson For 8/21/11 - The Oath And Covenant Of The Priesthood

The Lesson For 8/21/11 Was Originally To Be From The Gospel Principles Manual But Through Trial And Prayer, I have Found The Need To Make This A Focus For The Elders Quorum, Both For Review And For The Prospective Elders In The Quorum. Included In This Post Will Be Some Videos That Specifically Describe The Details That Come From The 84th Section Of The Doctrine And Covenants.

Before I Proceed With My Insight, Understanding, And Counsel, Let Us Hear From An Apostle Of The Lord:
(Note: Those Who Receive This Via Email Will Need To Visit The Blog To Watch The Videos:)

Elder Perry On The Priesthood: Part 1:


He mentioned some great verses from the 84th Section of the Doctrine & Covenants in that video, and I would like to list them here, then briefly discuss them after the second video by Elder Perry.

 40 Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved.
 41 But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come.
 42 And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you.
Now Elder Perry On The Priesthood Part 2:
There are some great things discussed in these videos, and also many things for us to ponder and pray about. In thinking about the Oath And Covenant of the Priesthood, I look back on my own mistakes, not to dwell on them but to learn from them. In the past, I asked myself, When I messed up..... when I did fall on my face, was I doing everything I should have been doing? 
Was I reading my personal scriptures, as well as scriptures with my wife, and scriptures as a family? Was I participating in Family Prayer twice a day (at least)? Was I honoring and magnifying my calling and trying to serve others? Was I paying my tithing? Was I giving a full and "Generous" fast offering? I add Generous in there because if there have ever been times in my life where the church has helped me with finances, they have always helped me without a moment of hesitation. There are others who find themselves leaning upon the welfare resources of the Church, and so it's important that I pay a fast offering that may help another family, nomatter how or what type of help they need. Was I attending the Temple enough? I remember hearing some type of statistic, (I could be wrong about the location) but I think one time I heard that the Lubbock Stake only had 3% of its Temple Recommend Holders in active attendance. With a Temple So Close, and so readily accessible why are we not striving more to help with Baptisms for the dead? Why arent we doing endowment sessions for our kindred dead? We grow every time we enter the Holy House of the Lord.
I recognize my own need for improvement, and only pray I can serve you better. For that, I am praying. What I wish for my wonderful brethren of the Priesthood is that we might be spoken of in this loving regard:
Augusto A. Lim was a General Authority in the Church back in October of 1992 when he gave a Conference Address that spoke of how the missionaries who came to Philippines were referred to by many there, and I quote:
"Like the sons of Mosiah, “they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.” (Alma 17:2.) And “they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.” (Alma 17:3.) And “they did suffer much, both in body and in mind, such as hunger, thirst and fatigue, and also much labor in the spirit.” (Alma 17:5.) But after the completion of an honorable mission, like Ammon, one of the sons of Mosiah, these missionaries can also say, “My joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.” (Alma 26:11.)"

Perhaps we all can strive to be like this. The Priesthood is in no way, a thing to be casually looked upon. There is great responsibility that comes with the Oath the Lord gives us. When the keys of the Priesthood are exercised in righteousness, and the will of the Father is in affirmation of the blessings invoked upon others, the Lord will come through for us. I have seen that very miracle already, in my life with a dear beloved Father Figure, Brother Olmsted!
In referring back to those verses of the 84th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants (Verses 40-42) President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in The First Presidency said:
Now, if you are like I was when I first heard those words as a young man, the challenge of accepting the Melchizedek Priesthood could seem daunting. There are at least two reasons why you should be confident rather than discouraged with the penalties that would follow either failing to keep the oath and covenant or deciding not to accept it. Whether you accept the oath and covenant and find it too difficult or if you fail to try, the penalty is the same. There is no question, therefore, that your best course and mine is to receive the holy priesthood and try with all of our hearts to keep its covenants. If we choose not to try, we would certainly lose the opportunity for eternal life. If we try and with God’s help succeed, we will gain eternal life."

There is yet another reason to decide now that you will try with all your heart to qualify for that oath and covenant and have confidence that you will succeed. God promises you the help and power which, if you exercise faith, will give you success.
I can admit I felt very.... weary for lack of a better term. I had hoped that as I took upon me this great responsibility, that I would not fall short of anything but pleasing to the Lord. Looking back on it now, it is obvious now the Lord is telling me (and perhaps others) that this is a blessing, rather than a mandate. All men should look upon this prestigious opportunity because greater blessings come of it! All this in combination with what is said in that same Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, but in verse 57, the Lord mentions that we need to  

"...remember the new covenant, even the Book Of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written-" (D & C 84:57)

I also recall back to when I received my Melchizedek Priesthood, the comfort that came to me in reading the words of the Lord which are also in the same section that says:

"...whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D & C 84:88)

Why would he go so far to aid us? Well, a fraction of understanding can be found in verse 77 when He says, "....I say unto you my friends, for from henceforth I shall call you friends..."

Continuing with what President Henry B. Eyring spoke of.... he said:

"Let me describe some of the blessings you will receive as you go forward in faith.
First, the very fact that you have been offered the oath and covenant is evidence that God has chosen you, knowing your power and capacity. He has known you since you were with Him in the spirit world. With His foreknowledge of your strength, He has allowed you to find the true Church of Jesus Christ and to be offered the priesthood. You can feel confidence because you have evidence of His confidence in you.
Second, as you will try to keep your covenants, the Savior has promised His personal help. He has said that as you go forward in honoring the priesthood: “There I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” 2
You may at times need reassurance, as I do, that you will have the strength to meet your obligations in this sacred priesthood. The Lord foresaw your need for reassurance. He said, “For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.”
We can see that the importance of our obtaining the Priesthood, and then striving to live worthy of it, is crucial to our Eternal progress. Without the Melchizedek Priesthood, we cannot be sealed to our beloved spouse and be bound together for all time and eternity. If we dont get sealed in the Temple to our spouse then we lose additional blessings and promises. (See D & C Section 132) 
There is so much more that could be included in this particular blog, but I invite 
you all to read and study not just The Oath and Covenant Of The Priesthood but all 
of the standard works. Your testimony will grow, your affinity for feeling the Spirit, 
and doing the will of the Father will become more prevalent. This I know to be 
despite my imperfections. I leave that testimony with you in the name of Jesus
Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great message. We are still following the events in your area and hope to relocate there from our present home in Nevada.